PR

Spining and Objectivity

IF someone asked me the difference between a journalist and a Public Relations (PR) writer like myself (both using a mainstream platform in dissemination of content they produce) - I could say one is expected to be objective, and that one is not me.
Wednesday, 27 May 2015

Mapping PR in sri lanka

Public relations as a job, seems to be a grey, undefined profession activity surrounding it largely from two points of views, and they are media relations and people's relations. While this may sound like covering the ground it really does not.
Thursday, 21 April 2011

PR industry standards

When I was in school, if we had a situation where information was needed on a particular subject, probably an event in history or some facts related to geography or biology which could have expanded our knowledge, the only sources to turn to were our textbooks, or if we were lucky (as was the case with me), an uncle who owned the Encyclopaedia Britannica, which was at that time the ultimate source of information.
Wednesday, 09 February 2011

The PR ‘big idea’

It is usual for advertising people taking on a new campaign for a client to talk of the ‘big idea’. The cracking of this ‘big idea’ becomes the pivotal factor in designing any campaign.
Wednesday, 14 September 2011

PR and branding

I recently went to lunch at a restaurant in a five star hotel, and was quite surprised by the restaurant’s name. It was actually called ‘The Heist’. If you refer to any dictionary, it will tell you that a heist is a robbery in which there is a large haul of loot. So in other words this place could easily be called ‘The Robbery’. Yes, it is a little funny, but I am merely trying to make a point.
Wednesday, 01 June 2011

Of public relations and media

Who is a PR person? Though the answer may seem obvious on the face of it, it has become quite important these days to define the role of public relations.This is because the sustainability model of present day business demands engaging and interacting with their various stakeholders as businesses are increasingly beginning to realise that they no longer operate in isolation.
Wednesday, 05 January 2011