Corporate

Following a standard

Last week was a holy week for traditional Christians all over the world. There were many days to be observed such as the Sunday before Easter, known as Palm Sunday and the Thursday of that week which is called Maundy Thursday, observed by Catholics as a remembrance of Jesus Christ’s last supper with his apostles.
Wednesday, 27 April 2011

Of hair, shampoo and not understanding the opposite sex

A couple of weeks ago I was at a supermarket and was accosted by a particularly aggressive marketing person (one uses the word person when one refers to a woman just to be politically correct) who wanted to sell me shampoo. Well, at first as I was walking along the aisle I did not make any eye contact with this person as I did not think she would want to speak to me – I was certain of not being her target market. But this young lady, for reasons only known to her, thought she needed to sell me shampoo.
Wednesday, 29 April 2015

He was An Enigma And A Contradiction…

I worked for the Sunday Leader over 15 years ago as a Deputy Editor under its very famous Editor Lasantha Wickrematunge, who was a dear friend from my days back in the Dawasa group (1981), where I was a journalist for the SUN and WEEKEND newspapers. Lasantha and his wife(to be), worked under Sinha Ratnatunga who was the Editor of the WEEKEND newspaper. When Lasantha started the Sunday Leader with his wife Raine they invited me to join them and after some years I eventually did.
Wednesday, 29 April 2015

The anatomy of documentary: The Channel 4 case against Sri Lanka

During his recent visit to Sri Lanka, MTI’S Bahrain-based CEO HilmyCader, as part of MTI’S ‘Think Tank’ initiative, shared his learnings on the impact of media on world opinion and what governments around the world can learn from businesses. Several Sri Lankan private sector companies recently demonstrated a protest against U.S. resolution against Sri Lanka at the UNHRC
Wednesday, 29 April 2015

Does Sri Lankan tourism have a sustainable market mix?

It is not a bad idea to target the high-end high-spending tourist, but we must know that they cannot be our only market, we need the proper mix for success where we can charge lower rates during off season and higher during peak Despite all the hype about our tourist figures sky rocketing, some big tour operators are not happy about current tourist arrivals. They have used words like ‘it was a challenging year…’ and blamed their somewhat low figures on the drop in charter traffic. Overall, they say that there are less people coming to Sri Lanka on organised…
Wednesday, 29 April 2015

South Asian ports need synchronised development

With the opening dates of terminals in the Colombo South Harbour Project in Sri Lanka and Deep Water Container Port in Pakistan now set as 2013 and 2014 respectively, port development in the South Asian region is about to enter another era. When completed, the new deep sea ports in Karachi and Colombo will have the most advanced facilities in the region, capable of handling the largest ships in the world. This is the result of the vision of these countries leaders’ and their foresight in leveraging the expertise of world class partners for the development of their infrastructure. Trade…
Wednesday, 29 April 2015