Hospitality

The small island formula

The Christmas season is a time for traditions, especially when it comes to food.  These traditions which one could say are mainly of Western origin has through the years taken its own twists and turns, especially here in Sri Lanka, and more so in recent times. A generation ago, every home developed its own particular delicacy when it came to this particular festive season. Every mother had her own formula for Christmas cake handed down to her from her mother, grandmother or great grandmother.  How long the cake should be baked, what fruits went into it, how the ingredients had…
Saturday, 05 January 2013

Naivety

2002, the time of the peace accord between the Government and the LTTE, was a confusing time for most of us journalists. The Norwegians were our peace brokers at that time and they were here and there, telling everyone who was involved how to get over the LTTE problem through a peaceful process.
Wednesday, 27 July 2011

Is snail mail becoming a redundant mode of communication?

The Christmas season is a time in which we use the post a lot. Christmas cards are still quite traditional and sending greetings via snail mail has its own special place in the season’s activities.
Wednesday, 28 December 2011

Demographic dividend

I recently read a document produced by the World Bank this year, titled ‘Reshaping tomorrow’ and in its overview written by EjazGhani, he asks the question ‘what will south Asia look like in 2025?’ The World Bank says, ‘The optimistic view is that India which accounts for 80% of the regional economic output, and is the largest country in the region, is headed towards double digit growth rates. South Asia too will grow rapidly, primarily due to India.’
Wednesday, 16 November 2011

A new journalism

There is a notion, a thought, a germ of an idea that is forming amongst some of my ex-journalist friends, that there is a need for a newspaper or magazine or some other media that should be managed and run by journalists themselves. An interesting concept I would say, as the idea itself seems new in this country.
Thursday, 30 April 2015

Securing our national wealth

Yesterday’s special report in the Daily FT on the oil issue in Sri Lanka had detailed stories on how oil prices rising was going to be a threat to the country’s economic recovery. The Petroleum Minister had also been interviewed, to comment on the domestic situation.
Wednesday, 06 April 2011

Enforced drug list

The debate on the National Medicinal Drug Policy is never ending. Full credit for this must certainly be given to the People’s Movement for the Rights of Patients (PMRP), for keeping the subject alive in the media. I am compelled to make some comment on this campaign carried out by the PMRP, because of its repetitious nature and the impracticality of their one and only argument: Their claim that there are 9,000 varieties of medicines in Sri Lanka out of which only 352 are essential drugs.
Wednesday, 30 March 2011

Sweden Runs Out Of Garbage: Only 1% Ends Up In Landfills

Something incredible has been taking place in Sweden over the past several years, somewhat of a “recycling revolution,” if you will. Currently less than one percent of the garbage produced in Swedish homes ends up in the landfill today, with the other ninety-nine percent being recycled or composted.
Wednesday, 29 April 2015

The thin grey line

There are three stories that I’d like to talk about in this column, which might seem unconnected, but I see a connection and hope my explanation of it will hold water.I read a report on Huffington Post Business quoting a 10 January report on Reuters, which said that organised crime now generated an annual turnover of around 140 billion euros ($ 178.89 billion) and profits of more than 100 billion Euros.
Wednesday, 29 April 2015

Living the Lankan way

The other day I was shopping with my wife at Odel – that’s where I do most of my clothes buying; not because I want to be fashionable but simply because they’ve got the right sizes in shapes that fit me! I was about to buy another of my usual T-shirts when my wife made an observation, that what I was about to buy was similar to the T-shirts I already had. Well in fact it was the same brand and the same colour, which prompted her to say that everyone would think I owned only one T-shirt. Hmmm! I…
Wednesday, 29 April 2015
  •  Start 
  •  Prev 
  •  Next 
  •  End