International

Managing the message

How does one manage the media – i.e. from a PR sense? If you speak about this subject to any mainstream media journalist, he is probably not going to like the word ‘manage’, as managing might also connote control.But from a PR point of view, managing the message in the media is the most important part of any self respecting public relations person. Last week this column spoke about yellow journalism and corruption. One of the main accused in this, is allegedly PR people.
Wednesday, 07 September 2011

Being perfectly Frank

A pre-’70s class from an elite school was meeting at a Hikka hotel and one of the members of this class, I am told, was the former chairman of a well-known company.
Wednesday, 21 March 2012

The Lion sleeps tonight

This New Year, my family and I did not go out of the city as customary for us, but spent the holidays in Colombo.
Monday, 20 April 2015

Next generation content creation

Last week I saw some articles on the web as well as in the newspapers about the death of a child allegedly due to consuming a soft drink. The brand name of this soft drink was not given so I immediately called some of my friends in the media who told me which one it was.
Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Is snail mail becoming a redundant mode of communication?

The Christmas season is a time in which we use the post a lot. Christmas cards are still quite traditional and sending greetings via snail mail has its own special place in the season’s activities.
Wednesday, 29 April 2015

Stakeholder management in handling public affairs

It was a fiasco when the Ministry of Trade attempted to get traders to transport their vegetables in plastic crates. The idea in itself is not a bad one, as everyone knows packaging is a very important part of the value chain and whichever way one looks at it, our vegetables have to be transported in a more efficient manner in order to prevent the wastage that occurs from the farm gate to the shop floor.
Wednesday, 29 April 2015

Tribal Journalism, message against the messenger

A newspaper taken as a whole has to be appreciated from the point of view of the variety that exists within its folds, the harmony of its management policy and the direction of its editorial; whereas social media such as tweets and blogs exist in silos with purely one objective and that is driving a single agenda Dr. B. William Silcock, Associate Professor of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication of the Arizona State University, was in Sri Lanka last week. On his visit, he talked about a new term in the media -‘tribal journalism’.
Wednesday, 29 April 2015

Language erosion in social media

If someone says ‘ttyl’, ‘lol’, they probably mean talk to you later, lots of love not talk to you later, laugh out loud; and if someone says ‘omg’, ‘lol’ they probably mean oh my god, laugh out loud not oh my god, lots of love After reading the last three Paradigm Shift columns published in this newspaper, some might well think that this writer has something against social media. This however, is not the case. The last three articles dealt with the essential difference between citizen and mainstream journalists, and why one could not lump them together as they did…
Wednesday, 29 April 2015

Managing Under Performing Companies the South Asian Way

The Kingfisher story stinks of a game played by the corporate sector in the West; they topple and expect a bail out from taxpayer’s money.
Friday, 24 April 2015