Next generation content creation

Last week I saw some articles on the web as well as in the newspapers about the death of a child allegedly due to consuming a soft drink. The brand name of this soft drink was not given so I immediately called some of my friends in the media who told me which one it was.

Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Media big brother

Does the media – and indirectly Public Relations Companies in Sri Lanka – need a watchdog? Somebody to analyse what we write, what gets published and what is missed out?

Wednesday, 04 May 2011

Following a standard

Last week was a holy week for traditional Christians all over the world. There were many days to be observed such as the Sunday before Easter, known as Palm Sunday and the Thursday of that week which is called Maundy Thursday, observed by Catholics as a remembrance of Jesus Christ’s last supper with his apostles.

Wednesday, 27 April 2011

Enforced drug list

The debate on the National Medicinal Drug Policy is never ending. Full credit for this must certainly be given to the People’s Movement for the Rights of Patients (PMRP), for keeping the subject alive in the media.

I am compelled to make some comment on this campaign carried out by the PMRP, because of its repetitious nature and the impracticality of their one and only argument: Their claim that there are 9,000 varieties of medicines in Sri Lanka out of which only 352 are essential drugs.

Wednesday, 30 March 2011

Chicken and Egg situation in Social Media

How effective is social media as a marketing tool in Sri Lanka? Can it be seriously considered in any large marketing communication plan? Not in my view. But to make certain, I picked up the phone and spoke to three CEOs of advertising companies.

Wednesday, 09 March 2011

Sweden Runs Out Of Garbage: Only 1% Ends Up In Landfills

Something incredible has been taking place in Sweden over the past several years, somewhat of a “recycling revolution,” if you will. Currently less than one percent of the garbage produced in Swedish homes ends up in the landfill today, with the other ninety-nine percent being recycled or composted.

Wednesday, 29 April 2015

Tesla's gigafactory could be obsolete before it even opens. Here's why.

The $5 billion facility, projected to be completed in 2017, is intended to produce 500,000 lithium ion batteries annually. But advances in battery technology could threaten the gigafactory’s viability.

Wednesday, 29 April 2015

Is snail mail becoming a redundant mode of communication?

The Christmas season is a time in which we use the post a lot. Christmas cards are still quite traditional and sending greetings via snail mail has its own special place in the season’s activities.

Wednesday, 29 April 2015

Data over voice?

I lost my phone on New Year’s Day and I have not replaced it as yet! Actually life has been good without it. How do people contact me? Those who really wanted to got me on the landline and that was it!In this day and age when everyone must have a hand held device (no longer can it be called a mobile phone) is this really possible? I think I have proved it, 10 days without a device and I am yet surviving, it has not affected my business.

Wednesday, 29 April 2015

The thin grey line

There are three stories that I’d like to talk about in this column, which might seem unconnected, but I see a connection and hope my explanation of it will hold water.I read a report on Huffington Post Business quoting a 10 January report on Reuters, which said that organised crime now generated an annual turnover of around 140 billion euros ($ 178.89 billion) and profits of more than 100 billion Euros.

Wednesday, 29 April 2015
Page 9 of 11