Are we ready to glocalise?

THE Coke (Coca- Cola) bottle is a standard here in Sri Lanka. I don't mean the drink, I mean the bottle. In petrol sheds where 2T oil has to be mixed with the fuel for two stroke engines like motorcycles and three-wheelers, this bottle is an accepted measure. It is a kind of North American standard which is unoffi-cially accepted.

Friday, 27 August 2010 Written by

The powerless (new) media

RECENTLY an old colleague of mine posted a question on her Facebook wall, which said: "If new media is all the rage, how come people still invite only the 'boring old mainstream media' for press events, launches, etc., that gives them a day's worth of coverage at most, hmmmm...?"

Thursday, 11 August 2011

Market fundamentalism and the bubble!

Last week I wrote about how we can glocalise! It is the process of adapting or customising a product or service that is available all over the world to make it suitable to local needs. To further investigate this happening, I went on an active search of how we in Sri Lanka may use global ideas, tools and concepts and fashion it to suit local conditions.

Wednesday, 27 May 2015

Spining and Objectivity

IF someone asked me the difference between a journalist and a Public Relations (PR) writer like myself (both using a mainstream platform in dissemination of content they produce) - I could say one is expected to be objective, and that one is not me.

Wednesday, 27 May 2015

The truth of the matter

WAY back when I was a junior journalist in the Sun newsroom, I remember being given a lesson in the do's and don'ts of how to handle a "source".

Thursday, 14 July 2011 Written by

Wilpattu Deer

Tuesday, 26 May 2015

Mannar Donkey

Tuesday, 26 May 2015

Tank Fish caught somewhere near Chilaw

Tuesday, 26 May 2015

Next generation CSR

With October declared as Reading Month and the grand book fair just coming to an end at the BMICH, it is an appropriate time to talk of books. Reading books is probably a skill, which is fast on the decline, especially amongst children.

Friday, 30 September 2011

Shopping with your senses

WHAT is the magic of Odel? Any visit to Colombo is not worth its salt if one has not visited this shopping mall. I hope that does not sound like an advertisement for Odel -but it is a fact that this one mall in Colombo has proven irresistible to most; I have had visitors from abroad come to Sri Lanka saying "where is Odel, I want to go there." And I say how about the Zoo or the Museum....but no it's this shopping spot at Lipton Circus that they want to visit.

Thursday, 09 June 2011
Page 4 of 11